Well, we've settled down in columbus and now we're getting ready for me to start internship. I spent the past two weeks getting in-processed into the army (quite the event- mostly spent standing in lines for hours and then people telling us we were in the wrong place). Then this past week I did actual medicine stuff, like how to run a code and neonatal resuscitation and all that jazz. All that was in preparation for monday, dun dun dun, which is when i start internship. Monday night is the big day, starting on night float. For those non-medical people out there night float was created for medicine programs as a way of getting out of being on call every 3rd or 4th night. Basically someone works nights for a month at a time. It's actually not that bad of a schedule, i have saturday and sunday nights off and work from 6 pm to 7 am monday through friday nights.
Sarah has settled into doing projects around the house, this past week she painted all the cabinets and put new hardware on them and as i type she's painting the kitchen. She's keeping her eye out for a good job, but is trying to hold out for the right one that she will enjoy (in the meantime there are plenty of projects around here to do).
It is an interesting time in our lives as i am starting my residency, but also we are being introduced to the military. One good thing is that there are 5 other people here who are going through the same experience with us. Today we had a general come and visit us and give a talk over lunch-time. He spoke of the radical extremism that is bent on disrupting our lives here in america as well as many other democracies abroad and of the certainty that things like 9/11 will happen again. It put into perspective and articulated for me some of the reasons why I have decided to join the military and serve our country. It's so people like you and I can go about our lives and our children can pursue whatever dreams they may have. To support the proud men and women who are serving by providing quality healthcare for them and their families is of utmost concern to me. I have begun to realize the importance of me becoming a part of the solution and participating rather than being a bystander. I would encourage each of you to think about the freedoms and advantages we as americans have over much of the world in terms of seeking our pursuit of happiness, of our liberties and inalienable rights. Take time to consider how you can participate rather than being a bystander.
We appreciate your prayers and support during this time, and i'm sure that as the year progress sarah would love any phone calls for encouragement and invitations to come visit as i'll be working like a dog and won't be home much! We love and miss you all very much and hope that God is guiding you in your present circumstances.

2 comments:
Nice to see an update!! Hope things go well on Monday. I've got a pretty easy first month... it's pretty much clinic, occupational medicine, and orientation for the whole family medicine department. I'll give you a call sometime. Hey, how about posting some pictures of all the work on the house?
I'm so glad that you have others to go through this with; somehow it's always easier to know you're not alone. Sarah can always come visit us! I don't know that there's tons to do here. (Although, Ben Kunz says there is cool stuff to do here; I'm waiting for him to prove it. ha!) But, seriously, I'd love the company, too. There's an open invitation, Sarah... always. I'll call soon to chat. Have a great day tomorrow, Josh. I'm so proud of you.
Tif
Post a Comment